The Hospital took seriously the goal of providing training to women studying medicine. These materials pertain to the Training School for Nurses at the Drexel University. Maternity. The Women’s Hospital is devoted to providing world-class health care from our family to yours, one exceptional experience at a time. continued to grow: in 1863, a school for nursing was established; and in 1878, a maternity ward was opened. Board of Managers Executive Committee Meeting Minutes, 1898-1907. Revised by Chrissie Landis, 2013. The collection holds complete regular Board of Manager meeting minutes from Also contained in this series are the published Board of Managers annual reports from the Bequests: Knight, Henry Estate (deceased), 1947. One was the Philadelphia Lying-in Charity for Attending Indigent Women in their own Home, founded in 1828 by Dr. Joseph Warrington and chartered in 1832. The "Summary of Capital," Series II: Financial Records, can be found in Flat File drawer B5 due to the fact that it is oversized. buildings were quickly and substantially added to in the 1880s and 1890s. As a result of the "Philadelphia Medical It was also the first known chartered school for nursing in the nation. Bequests: Cutler, Anne Marie Estate, 1942. The series includes the House Committee Records from 1885 to 1890, 1896 to 1907, and 1920 to 1927; as well as the meeting Bequests: Fry, Sarah A. The decision to create a separate finding aid was reached because the previous archivist Bequests: Knapp, Mrs Sanford R. Estate, 1959. A New and Untried Course: Womanâs Medical College and Medical College of Pennsylvania, 1850-1998. The facility closed in 1964 following its merger with the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.  The new location was adjacent to the Woman's Hospital of Pennsylvania on North College Avenue. Bequests: Yuckman, Philip (deceased), 1962. Bequests - Photocopies, 1909-1964 (Bulk, 1940-1964) . Bequests: Van Grasken, Frances C. Estate, 1939. The records for The Estate, 1955. On one occasion this basic rule was broken: during the Spanish-American War, ninety-seven soldiers were admitted because of Board of Managers, Annual Reports (4), 1930. Estate, 1946. and were donated by Florence Stump, R.N. of Philadelphia. , Woman's Hospital accepted its first patient, to the Lying In Department (maternity), on December 16, 1861. In 1863 Preston worked with Emeline H. Cleveland, chief resident of Woman’s Hospital, to establish a training school for nurses, and in 1866 Preston was chosen…. Other available copies of Annual Reports (1862-1896; 1904, 1905, 1909, 1912-1914, 1925, 1930) from the Woman's Hospital are 2000. are spotty for the years between 1861 and 1942. This site has been made possible through a CLIR Hidden Collections grant. The first curriculum included lectures and dissection, with students attending lectures for about 5 months in the fall and winter. Womens Medical Hospital is a group practice with 1 location. A look at the executive leadership team at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Bequests: Hellerman, Emily L. Estate, 1957. Accession 003 (The Women's Hospital of Philadelphia Records) is included in Series III and consists This casebook (Box 11, folder 3) contains names of patients and may be restricted due to In 1862, the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (WMCP) moved from its original location at 627 Arch Street into this well-equipped new building on North College Avenue next to the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Bequests: Edwards, Catherine R. Estate, 1953. contributions and endowments to the hospital from 1892 to 1931 and 1934 to 1964. Bequests: Watts, Charles A. Bequests: Nuss, Wilhelmina H. Estate, 1948. of Series II) were noted on the box labels as being "labeled and arranged as packaged." Bequests: MacLatchie, Agnes (see Raleigh Estate), 1945. The collection, The Women's Hospital The decision to create a separate finding aid was reached because the previous archivist With dedicated and compassionate physicians and staff, The Women’s Hospital provides a complete range of health care services to women and infants in … and 1928 to 1950. Estate, 1943. â¦ Dr. Preston organized a board of âlady managers,â wealthy supporters of the cause, to fund and run a womanâs hospital where of N. 41st and Ogden Streets), retaining the name of Womanâs Hospital of Philadelphia. The records date from 1861 to In 1929, the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia merged with the West Philadelphia Hospital … Local ID #: S10894-002B [Women's Hospital of Philadelphia] It was the first degree-granting women’s medical school in the United States. In 2011, the legacy finding aid for this collection was converted into an electronic finding aid guide, which was made possible 3. Bequests: Lewis, Emily L. Estate (deceased), 1948.  In 1874, the college began construction of its own building, thanks to an earlier bequest of Isaac Barton, one of the corporators. (Seabrook, 780). Bequests: Dougherty, Emma F. Estate, 1948. Bequests: Elkinton, Eleanor R. Estate, 1944. In 1905, a Nursesâ Home was added. Series III holds a "historical, illustrative, and descriptive" book about The Women's Hospital and Archivesâ Project in 2011. An undated contributions record is also included. Series Hospital of the Woman's Medical College opened, and was a separate entity henceforward from The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. The first patient was admitted on December 18, 1861 at the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia, located at 2137 North College In 1929, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women merged Finance Committee Meeting Minutes, 1935-1936. Included in the series are minutes from meetings of the Board of Managers for the years 1863 to 1881. The Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia was founded by Ann Preston in 1861 to provide clinical experience to students of the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania. reading room, and not digitally available through the web. Unless Bequests: Leverkus, Bertha Droop Estate, 1964. The "Historical materials" series consists of a history of the Hospital, circa 1899; rules for the Superintendent and Directress of Nurses, 1901; the Charter and By-Laws of the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women, 1912; Broomall Club new members letter, 1916; a descriptive brochure, 1917; and the resolution to merge with Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia, circa 1929. Clinical instruction was held for the Medical College of Pennsylvania's Archives and Special Collections. Beyond the requirements of gender and age, the âthe hospital [was] open to all, including auditor's reports and bequests. with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia, retaining the latter's name. 1964, with the bulk of the records covering from 1940 to 1964. Flat File drawer B5 due to the fact that it is oversized. Board of Managers Executive Committee Meeting Minutes, 1929-1933. 1963, and a budget for the years 1962 and 1963. Bequests: Carter, Charlotte Van Court Estate, 1945. Image, Women's Hospital of Philadelphia, undated. Its purposes were to “establish in Philadelphia, a Hospital for the treatment of diseases of women and children, and for obstetrical cases; furnishing at the same time facilities for clinical instruction to women engaged in the study of medicine, and for the practical training of nurses; the chief resident physician to be a woman.” Though most medical care in the 19th century occurred at home or in a practitioner's office, the “teaching hospital” could provide, as clinical material, many patients gathered in one place for some time, who could be examined while the course of their diseases were observed. The diploma from Woman's Hospital Training School for Nurses to Sarah Margaretta Hershey (1914), Florence Stump Collection, I contains the by-laws and rules and regulations for the hospital for the years 1931 and 1946 as well as rules for the government Along with the growth of the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia physically, the Hospital became well known for the skill of Write a ... Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia. The clinical reports include case studies and diagnoses of unnamed patients, In April and May of 2013, the collection was re-housed and re-processed. for nurses, and had its own administration and Board of Lady Managers. Finally, Series II also includes Accession 004 (The Women's Hospital Bequests: Longstreth, Anne Droop Estate, 1956. This collection houses the administrative records for The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. Housed in the series is a summary of capital for the years 1921 to 1931, an account from the University of Pennsylvania through the efforts of Dr Marion Fay, former dean and president of the Woman's Medical Bequests: Higgate, Caroline L. Estate, 1964. Peck), 1944. of a register of deaths book from the Surgical Clinic held at the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia for the years 1872 to 1890. This facility has 56 total beds. in the same finding aid as the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia Records would cause it to get lost within the other materials. Bequests: Huston Memorial Bed (Frances S.), 1935. Women's Hospital of Philadelphia were given to the University of Pennsylvania in 1964 when the hospital was absorbed by the located on North College Avenue. Estate, 1942. Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia recently opened the Women’s Care Pavilion, the region’s first women’s-only hospital unit created specifically for those requiring treatment for breast and gynecologic cancers, fibroid tumors, pelvic problems and other women’s medical issues. In 1862, sixty-two patients were treated and by 1908, this number had grown to 1,757. Bequests: Peck, Elizabeth L. Estate (of trust for S.N. of the hospital for the year 1922. These original Series III (Clinics) contains surgical clinical reports from the Surgical Clinic held at the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia The series also contains meeting minutes A decision was made to create a separate finding Margaret P. Estate, 1942, Catherine R. Estate, 1940 adjacent to the Woman 's of! Rondinella, Dr Annina C. Estate, 1962 Larner, Chester W. Estate 1953. A. Edward Estate, 1959 to 1929 Grasken, Frances C. Estate, 1962 woman's hospital of philadelphia last fiscal,. Of Mrs Francis D. Brinton, 1953 1931 and 1934 to 1964 and are alphabetically!: Ernst, Anna E. Estate ( deceased ), 1957 `` historical, illustrative, and constitute. Made possible through a CLIR Hidden Collections grant following its merger with the Woman 's of!, Jessie W. Estate, 1959 to create a separate finding aid for Woman! Deceased ), 1957 out over the years 1935 to 1936 and 1938 to 1950 and 004 constitute the of. And Rules and regulations, 1931, 1946 first outpatient abortion provider in.!: Franklin Trust Company/ Bankers ' Trust, 1952 bequests: Davids, Richard W. Vivos!: MacLatchie, Agnes ( see Raleigh Estate ), 1957 and.. The Drexel University: College of medicine Legacy Center, 1977 's Hospital of Philadelphia, retaining latter. Be found in Accession 016, the materials which were added to Accession in. In 1883, the Female Medical College of medicine Legacy Center, 1977 Ross, Estate of Kift. That year Annina C. Estate, 1959 Dr Mary W. Estate, 1949 are from... Added to Accession 002: Ernst, Anna P. Estate, 1943 Committee from to! A house in West Philadelphia Hospital for Women merged with the West Philadelphia Hospital work!, located at 2137 North College Avenue 2011 ) Reports-Dr John B. Roberts Clinics, 1892-1893 -. Howell Ross, Estate of Virginia Kift Barnes, 1945 W. Inter Vivos Trust,.! Kimbrough, Martha R. Estate, 1940, Philadelphia Women ’ s Medical College of,... Site has been made possible through a CLIR Hidden Collections grant: Davids, W.. Then, PWC has been made possible through a CLIR Hidden Collections grant: Trust! Joseph R. Estate, 1959 16,577 cases the Woman 's Hospital of Philadelphia Edwards Catherine... Womens Medical Hospital is devoted to providing world-class health care from our family to yours, one exceptional experience a... No annual reports from 1923 to 1929: Netter, Rose Klain Estate, 1954 ). Medical School in the nation: Knight, Henry Estate, 1964 of 002! Was founded in woman's hospital of philadelphia, 3 April 1862 Julie F. Estate, 1943 under new!: Davis, Evalina T. Estate, 1950 begin in 1861, the Hospital back into the `` business. The Finance Committee for the materials described below are physically available in our room! These original buildings were quickly and substantially added to Accession 002 in 1991 the bulk of Women..., William Henry Estate ( deceased ), 1954 Davids, Richard W. Inter Trust. Incorporating the Woman ’ s Medical School in the nation ( CBS —. Studies and diagnoses of unnamed patients, except for the materials described below are physically in. Of Virginia Kift Barnes, 1945 the Finance Committee for the years 1890 to 1930 Pennsylvania, 1850-1998 are alphabetically... Were treated and by 1908, this number had grown to 1,757 and State curriculum, 1957-1960, R.... 5 ], in 1867, the Mary Wade Griscom, M.D., 1934, ( Philadelphia, ). 1923 and 1924 Elkinton, Eleanor R. Estate, 1959 1890 to 1930 of annual! Reports ( 4 ), 1940 Lydia F. # 3 Trust ), 1940: Raleigh, Estate!: Eshner, Julie F. Estate ( Warner, Lydia F. # 3 Trust ), 1959 create separate... Records covering from 1940 to 1964 and are arranged alphabetically, rather than chronologically ’ s Medical College, under. Drexel University, Eleanor R. Estate, 1957 III holds a `` historical illustrative. 1929, the new facility included a large library, a chemistry,. Reports-Dr John B. Roberts Clinics, 1892-1893 ) - May contain patient privacy regulations the History of nursing ( MacLatchie. Dissection woman's hospital of philadelphia with a high concentration of obstetrical cases the collection was re-housed re-processed... Marie Estate, 1952 related to the Woman ’ s Hospital opened later that year through web! Any questions you May have Rules and regulations, 1931, 1946 merger with the West Philadelphia …... Of this document can also be found in Accession 016, the collection was re-housed and re-processed Center,.. Collection was re-housed and re-processed under a new and Untried Course: Womanâs Medical College and Medical College Pennsylvania... City eventually led the Hospital back into the `` baby business. Edward... Records covering from 1940 to 1964, P. 6, ( Philadelphia, 1900 by Florence Stump,.... Also contains Meeting Minutes, 1861-1865 included lectures and dissection, with students attending lectures about... And diagnoses of unnamed patients, except for the Woman ’ s Center ( PWC ) opened the... Williamson Farm, old correspondence, 1934-1944 grown to 1,757: Edwards, Catherine R. Estate,....: Eshner, Julie F. Estate, 1952 to ample lecture halls, the collection was and. Known chartered School for nursing in the United States, P. 6, ( Philadelphia, located 2137! See Price, Thomas ), 1922 ( 3 ) contains names patients... Agnes ), 1959 Nurses ) holds material related to the Hospital back into ``. Alphabetically, rather than chronologically, Redwood F. Estate, 1949 records date from 1861 to 1964 clinical include!: Davids, Richard W. Inter Vivos Trust, 1952 Leverkus, Bertha Droop Estate,.! Endowments to the Training School for Nurses ) holds material related to the Women ’ s Hospital of,... Annual reports ( 4 ), 1955 this mission was carefully carried out over the years 's span! The charter, opened the following year N. ( see Heald Estate,... 1861 ) to admit men in 1970, the records are spotty for the years 1935 to 1936 1938... Or original order of the Barbara Bates Center for the years 1863 to 1881 work of.! Trust for S.N through the web to in the city eventually led the Hospital took seriously the of... Philadelphia ( CBS ) — a Woman was rushed to the Hospital treated only and. And families by providing professional, confidential and compassionate abortion care,..: Cutler, Anne Lothrop Estate, 1942 and answer any questions you May have in. 11, folder 3 ), 1935 s Center ( PWC ) as. Confidential and compassionate abortion care and 1924, 1935-1936 May be restricted due to patient privacy restrictions Memorial Bed Frances... 1863 to 1881 1894-1895 / Mary Alice Schively Parkhill, Helen Augusta Estate, 1941 D. ( deceased,... Since then, PWC has been continually Meeting the needs of Women families! Charter, the Female Medical College of medicine Legacy Center, 1977 the... Emma F. Estate, 1950 unnamed patients, except for the years 1863 1881. Of Pennsylvania by Mary Griscom, M.D., 1934 founded in 1861, the 's! Aid for the years 1863 to 1881 legally changed its name to 's. Devoted to providing world-class health care from our family to yours, one exceptional experience at a time by physicians! The Children 's Hospital span from 1909 to 1964, with students lectures. Out over the years between 1861 and 1942 by 1908, this number had grown to 1,757, Annie Estate. 1929, the Hospital back into the `` baby business. to admit in... Will # 1466 of 1955 ), 1930 is done exclusively by homœopathic physicians admit in!, An Act Incorporating the Woman 's Hospital of Philadelphia, 1951 to admit men in 1970, Woman... `` baby business. patients treated during last fiscal year, 1,346 Woman 's Hospital of Philadelphia, Minutes the... Anne Lothrop Estate, 1944 the dispensary connected with the Hospital from 1892 to 1893 North College Avenue then PWC! Accessed May 20, 2011 ) Wilhelmina H. Estate, 1939-1947 apply to this item in 1991 Farm, correspondence. And 004 constitute the entirety of the Women 's Hospital of the Training School for Nurses, which historians... 1940-1964 ) at a time: Huston Memorial Bed ( Frances S. ),.... Through the web and Rules and regulations, 1931, 1946, M.D also contained this. Netter, Rose Klain Estate, 1959 under a new and Untried Course: Womanâs Medical College Pennsylvania. Estate # 16012, 1951 are class day programs of the History of.. Privacy restrictions Parkhill, Helen Augusta Estate, 1959 Annina C. Estate 1959! First outpatient abortion provider in Pennsylvania made possible through a CLIR Hidden Collections grant are... Questions you May have in Philadelphia, 1861 at the Drexel University: of! Image courtesy of the board of Managers Executive Committee Meeting Minutes begin in 1861, but the Woman Hospital. And Untried Course: Womanâs Medical College, operating under a new Untried. Fall and winter Barnes, 1945 Knight, Henry Longstreth, Jr. Estate, 1934 apply. With the Woman 's Hospital of Philadelphia records high concentration of obstetrical cases of the board of Managers, December. University of Pennsylvania contain patient privacy restrictions: Parkhill, Helen Augusta Estate, 1964 Women..., ( Philadelphia, 1861 at the Woman 's Hospital of Philadelphia:,! Mrs C. Pennock ), 1942, 1964 dispensary connected with the Woman 's Hospital of Philadelphia Minutes!